• Playing from a lead sheet involves creating an arrangement.
• Playing with Chords will teach piano students how to create a pleasing and accomplished arrangement using chords.
• Students will learn many different styles.
• They will study a wide variety of arranging tips and techniques.
• Playing with Chords has a strong emphasis on theory and students will acquire a good overall understanding of arranging principles.
• It encourages and facilitates improvising, especially playing around with chords.
• Classical musician friendly. The course is written from a classical viewpoint.
• Playing with Chords consists of books one to five plus a Teachers' Guide.
• Ideally it would be used as a supplement to traditional lessons. • It is appropriate as a stand-alone course for some students, especially those who struggle with traditional lessons.
• It is an excellent choice for those who just want to learn to play using a chord based system.
• The first books are accessable by young children who first need to have reached about grade one.
• Switching to a chord based method can sometimes save a student who is considering quitting.
• A4, 12ins X 8ins approx. 32 pages, soft cover.
Click on a book to view some pages from that book.
Order 4 or more books from this site to get FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING!
Thanks for your question. We will endeavour to respond as soon as possible.
What people are saying.
"Playing with Chordsis fabulous. It’s the first method I’ve found that actually teaches lead sheets in a really methodical, practical way and without overwhelming students." Barbara Leest. Perth, Australia
“I am very impressed with these books.” Maria Aitken, Palmerston North, New Zealand.
“I bought the Playing with Chords books and I really like them! I use them all the time as supplement to standard pieces. Knowledge of chords is a fundamental aspect of teaching for me. I was always on the lookout for help to play from lead sheets, and when I came across Playing with Chords, I was so thankful that someone filled this gap!” Susan Theron, Howick, New Zealand
I am the teacher but I have learned so much from these books and my arranging skills have improved dramatically.The books are great. Adam Miller, California
Love your books. Have used them with my adult students learning LH chords. Dianne Morgan, Warkworth, New Zealand
The Playing with Chords books are awesome. A mix of well-known songs supplemented with information on how to play chord style. My students are enjoying them. Anna Hope, Bluff, New Zealand.
These books are great - they offer clear suggestions for varied bass patterns based on the chords, and a wonderful collection of "real" pieces to explore. Tertia Hogan, Queensland, Australia.
Over the past two years I have found these books most suitable for the student who has a basic grounding in notational music and wishes to transition to a more modern style of playing. An understanding of chords is fundamental to all music and your books are especially suited to the pre-teen, teenager and returning adult player. They have given several of my students a renewed interest in their music given the creative opportunities within.
The introduction of a lead line using some familiar tunes, the gradual introduction of chords and various bass examples gives the student numerous options to ultimately develop their own arrangements and improvisation as well as an understanding of chord progressions.
The addition of a “Teachers Guide” book is a bonus and helpful for both experienced teachers and those teachers less experienced in the more modern styles. Wendy Moore, Manukau NZ